I lectured at the University of Surrey for seventeen years, moving from one department to another according to the changing fortunes of university financing at the time. Employed initially to teach Aesthetics, I went on to lecture also in Art History, the Arts in England, and English Poetry. My main areas of specialism in Art were: British art, Twentieth century art, the Philosophy of art, Mediaeval thought and art, and Religious art.
For some of these years I also lectured in the Philosophy of Art at West Surrey College of Art and Design (now University College for the Creative Arts at Farnham).
I have always given guest lectures on a wide variety of subjects, from academic presentations on philosophy or theology, to enabling dance. The list below gives an indication of some of the subjects I have covered over the years, and some of the groups to which I have lectured. See also the pages on Preaching and retreats.
Recent presentations on my prose books
- Talk entitled ‘A Writer’s Corona Variety Show’ to the Society of Authors Southern Counties, October 2020. In this talk I shared some of the many ways in which I have been occupied as a writer through the pandemic.
- Presentation on ‘Rapeseed’ to Society of Authors Southern Counties, March 2017
- Launch of ‘Rapeseed’ at the International Women’s Festival in York, March 2017
Philosophy, aesthetics and the arts
- Victoria and Albert Museum, London
- The Eidos of Art: International Conference on Aesthetics
Cracow, Poland; 1985
- Royal Schools of Church Music
- Guildford Philosophical Society
- Modern History Group, University of Surrey
- Music Department Special Lecture Series, University of Surrey
- Open Lecture Series, University of Surrey
- Kingsbridge History Society
- W.E.A. Haslemere
- Corona Group
As well as teaching poetry at the University of Surrey, I have also given guest lectures on individual poets, including T S Eliot, R S Thomas and Jack Clemo, and on religious poetry.
Theology and spirituality
- Open lecture series, Ham Common: Freedom. 2010
- Provincial chapter, CSC, 2010
- Ways with Words, Dartington, 2010: The People of God
Sexuality and spirituality
- ‘Festival 81’: Bishop’s conference at Guildford Cathedral and University of Surrey; 1981
- Birmingham University Visiting Lecture
- Royal Foundation of St Katharine, London
- Westminster Pastoral Centre, Meeting Point and University of Life
- Haslemere and Alton Pastoral Centres
Environment and climate change
- Continuous Professional Development Programme, Scottish Police College, Tulliallan Castle
- Sustainable Science Symposium, 2005
- King Edward’s School, Witley
- St Catherine’s School, Bramley
- Kingsbridge Peace Group
- Surrey County Councillors
- Guildford Geographical Association
- Epsom and Ewell Energy Group
- George Abbot Sixth Form